Wasteland -- A Random Legacy Challenge -- 1.0

Hello, My name is Remorse Dread. When I was 18 and homeless I signed up for a program, at the time I didn't understand the program right but now I regret this. I joined up to be a lab rat in a sense. This is the story:
A few years ago some scientist said that if a person didn't have to make big decisions in their life they would be happier people.. Other scientist said hell no. Free will is what makes people live life to the fullest and happiest. To test this theory he had, he put out a flyer basically saying all expense paid trip to move to another city and to have everything paid for the rest of your life. You just have to follow some simple tasks for the rest of your life. "GUARANTEED work" 
Like I told you, I was homeless and this seemed like the best option for me. I signed up and after almost a year of 'testing' I was the only one picked for the program. I think it has to do with my name but here I am. 


"Face front to take your picture."
I was at the last stage of the very long process. They were taking my picture and then it was onto Wasteland. I should of known from then and there that this was a foul idea. 

I arrived in Wasteland bright and  early the next morning and boy was I disappointed. There was NOTHING around for miles and miles just MY house. 
Once I got inside the house I see a note sitting on the counter, it read:
"Welcome Remorse to your forever home! Here are the tasks that you will follow for your life. You are in good hands. 
  • You will be Single. Marriage isn't in your future!
  • You will have 1 child. We will provide you a donor.
  • Your job will be one of Florist. You will make flowers and give them to us, we will then sell them.
  • You will be photogenic. I want at least 5 pictures of your family as it is growing in your house.
  • And lastly, You will be a fashion diva. You will need to buy new clothes for either you or your child( when they come) every season.
Good luck and live your life to the fullest!

I stand there in shock. What the fuck is this. They pick every aspect of my life! I think about backing out right then and their but I realize, I have no where to go if I do and at least I will have a warm bed to sleep on and a hot shower and meal everyday. I suck it up and take a look around my house. 

After taking a look around the small house I sit down with a cooking book and start reading. I wouldn't want to burn down the house before I even slept in the bed yet. 
I got 15 pages in when my door bell rang. I wondered who that could be since there was nothing or no one for miles. 

I open my door to the pleasant sight of people. I have to admit I was getting a little lonely in that house. Being homeless, despite what most think, you are very alone.. There are always people around you and things to see and do. Especially in a huge city. After being here for only an hour I was dying for some human attention. I was very glad when I got it. 
The ladies were nice enough but Jace was more my speed. He was a really laid back guy and I mostly talked to him. It made me feel bad because the ladies only had themselves to talk to. 


After getting to know everyone a little better, I invite them inside for some lunch meat sandwiches. That cook book was doing me some good because before I didn't know how to make any kind of food.  A little bit after the food was eating I told everyone it was time for them to leave. I loved having company but I was really tired from my long travels and just wanted to cat nap before I started my new job.

In the wee hours of the morning I was up and at them to start my job. At first I was confused as to what I was doing but it was a simple enough task and this made me glad they give it to me. After I got over being confused I was appalled. 36 dollars a piece to make these stupid flowers. It surprised me the things people bought. They basically threw they money away.

My life became a little mundane. I worked on those stupid flowers and I studied important skills. I also talked to my friends on the phone. 

A new season came along with a note saying, Time to fulfill the other part of your task, buy some new clothes you've earned it. 
I'll admit it felt good to get something new, I had been working very hard at being a florist and I had yet to see a reward. 

Jace could tell I was in a bit of a rut so he took the long trek to come over. It was nice to see him and have face to face human interaction. 
"How are you doing here all by yourself?
"I'm bored and anxious."
"Why?"
"Well, the other part of my task is having a child but I don't even get to pick the donor. Just some random. I feel so weird about all of this but I don't have anywhere else to go."
Jace just let me vent on and on and told me that everything would work itself out. I believed him but boy did I want it to happen sooner rather then later. 

At least I was getting better at these flower arrangements. I was making a lot more money from them and they were actually pretty now. I ended up keeping this one in my house. 

Life was starting to look up for me though. I was told it was time for me to take my first picture because very soon my life would be changing. When I asked how, I was told they found the perfect donor for me and that I would be having my child in the very near future. 
That excited me more then I thought it would. I wouldn't be as lonely at least. 

Cooking became my hobby that I loved. I cooked all the time, I still wasn't the best and I made a mess but I loved it! I knew my child would grow up with yummy food to fill their belly. 

The day finally came for me to meet my donor and get pregnant. The doctor that did it told me to take it easy for a few days as I would be sore. When I got home I followed his advice and sat down with my favorite cookbook to learn something new. 

Time flew by after that seemed. It seemed like just yesterday that I went to that clinic but now I was showing and I was excited. I couldn't wait to find out what I was having. 

See, I told yall time flew by. Before I knew it I was giving birth in my bedroom. The hospital was too far away for me to go and make it in time so I just toughed it out. 

I had a healthy baby boy that I named Alarming. It seemed to fit in with my crazy name and whom ever my parents are obviously had a sense of humor so I would keep it going. I just hoped that my son kept it going as well. 
Speaking of keeping it going, I wondered if he would choose to live this life of having major decision made for him. A part of me hoped he did, it was a guarantee that he would be safe and have a place to lay his head, plus I would get to see his family. 
The other part of me didn't want him to sign his life and dreams away. I would leave the decision up to him to make one day in the far away future.

As fall was coming to a close I looked at my sweet baby boy. He looked so much like me it often made me wonder if they even used a donor. His eyes were blue like mine, his skin dark and lovely, his hair black as night. He was going to be a lady killer I hope, well not literally but you get what I mean. 

With that being said, as the old woman I am now, I get tired fast and this is a good place to stop my story. I'll be back in a while to tell you some more of this tale. I think it's a good thing for everyone to know my story and what came to be of this project and how it played out. See ya next time. 











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Genetic Roulette - 1

Gentic Roulette

Baby Boomers - Chapter 2